top of page
  • Leila Moulana

Family based Green cards!!

Considering filing an immigrant visa petition for your family member? Don’t wait, file now!!

Family based immigrant petitions come in many forms. If you are lucky, and the family member you wish to petition is your U. S. citizen spouse, child under the age of 21 years old or your parent and you are over the age of 21. Then the case falls under the ‘Immediate Relative’ category and it can proceed in a relatively fast way. The majority of people who delay filing immigrant petitions for their family members are those filing for siblings, married children or children over the age of 21. Whether you are lawful permanent resident or a U. S. citizen, petitioning for a family member that falls outside of the immediate relative category can be a tedious and lengthy process. People often delay starting a case because they are discouraged by the long waiting times.

My advice is don’t wait to file!!

Once you have filed the immigrant petition, your life will resume as usual. Time passes much faster than you think. Before you know it, a visa number has become available to them and they are on their way to obtaining their immigrant visa. The procedure will differ depending on if we are consular processing or if they are eligible for adjustment of status, but either way, unless you start the process, they will never get there.

Depending on each individual circumstance, the family member may still be able to travel back and forth to the United States while their case is pending. Although they have immigrant intent, we may be able to prove that on each individual visit, they maintain their intent to return to their home country and will ultimately obtain their immigrant visa at the consulate. Call me to discuss this issue based on your particular circumstances.

Call now for your free telephone consultation!

(714) 743-2175

4 views0 comments
bottom of page